The tapered and reed-enriched pillar derives from a Roman candelabrum introduced in the early 19th century by the connoisseur Thomas Hope (d. 1842) at his Duchess Street mansion/museum and illustrated in his Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1807, pl. IX. A related table with brass three-quarter gallery and wing-scrolled feet, one of a pair in the collection of Lord and Lady White of Hull, was illustrated in Edward T. Joy, English Furniture, 1800-1851, 1977, p. 65. They were subsequently sold Christie's, New York, 30 April 1997, lot 226.
A further pair formed part of the drawing-room furniture supplied around 1809 by the Mount Street firm of Marsh & Tatham for Southill, Bedfordshire (G. Jackson-Stops, 'Southill Park, Bedfordshire', Country Life, 28 April 1994, pp. 62-67, and F.J.B. Watson, 'The Furniture and Decoration', Southill: A Regency House, London, 1951, pp. 29-30, pl. 45.
A similar mahogany and ebonised table was sold Christie's, London, 9 June 2011, lot 288 (£5000 including premium).