This 'Carlton House' patterned bookcase/commode is veneered in 'British' oak and enriched with marble and bronze. It reflects the French/antique manner adopted around 1805 for the Library furnishings of the London mansion of George, Prince of Wales, later King George IV. Its Grecian character, with stepped plinth, reed-wrapped pilasters and broad paned glazing, relates to the Prince's 'yew tree' cabinets supplied in 1806 by the Mount Street firm of Marsh and Tatham; while its palm-flowered capitals featured on the Prince's desk supplied by the firm in 1811, trading as 'Tatham, Bailey and Saunders'. The Prince's library furniture was later introduced by Morel and Seddon in their 1820s furnishing of George IV's Windsor Castle (H. Roberts, For the King's Pleasure: The Furnishing and Decoration of George IV's Apartments at Windsor Castle, London, 2001, p. 312, fig. 379 and p. 341 fig. 423).