This unusual travelling campaign bureau reputedly belonged to the celebrated military commander Prince Kutuzov, the famous Russian who was instrumental in forcing Napoleon's retreat from Moscow in 1812.
Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev-Kutuzov (1745 -1813) was a Field Marshal of the Russian Empire. Kutuzov contributed much to the military history of Russia and is considered to have been one of the best Russian generals under the reign of Catherine II. He took part in three of the Russo-Turkish Wars and in the Napoleonic War, including two major battles at Austerlitz and the battle of Borodino, where under Kutuzov's command, the Russian army stopped the Grande Armée at the Battle of Borodino pushing the French out of the Russian homeland. In recognition of this, Kutuzov was awarded the title of Prince of Smolensk.