The chairs are designed in the Grecian French manner promoted by the connoisseur Thomas Hope in the 1807 guide to his Duchess Street mansion museum: Household Furniture and Interior Decoration. They may have been supplied around the same time as a pair of ormolu-mounted rosewood and parcel-gilt chiffoniers of similar feeling that were listed in the 1847 inventory of George Byng's St James's Square house. The latter was sold in 'Two Late Regency Collectors: Philip John Miles and George Byng 1815-45', Christie's, London, 9 June 2005, lot 48.
The renowned collector and M.P. George Byng (1764-1847) set about improvements to Wrotham Park, Hertfordshire circa 1810. His collection was also housed at his London house in St. James's Square. Besides leading a long career as Whig M.P. for Middlesex for fifty-six years, eventually becoming Father of the House of Commons, he was a wealthy man and an avaricious collector with a highly-developed and advanced eye. The 1847 inventories, taken after his death, record an astonishing consistency in his collection for objets d'art, Boulle or 'buhl', Sèvres porcelain-mounted furniture as well as Old Masters. For further detailed information on George Byng and the collections at Wrotham Park, please see Christie's catalogue 'Two Regency Collectors: Philip John Miles and George Byng 1815-45', Christie's, London, 9 June 2005.