The renowned collector and M.P. George Byng (1764-1847) inherited Wrotham Park, Herfordshire on his father's death in 1789. It is possible that this set of five chairs and the preceding lot, the pair of sofas, en suite, were supplied before he set about major improvements at Wrotham circa 1810. His collection was also housed at his London house in St. James's Square. Besides leading a long career as Whig M.P. for Middlesex for fifty-six years, eventually becoming Father of the House of Commons, he was a wealthy man and an avaricious collector with a highly-developed and advanced eye. The 1847 inventories, taken after his death, record an astonishing consistency in his collection for objets d'art, Boulle or 'buhl', Sèvres porcelain-mounted furniture as well as Old Masters. For further detailed information on George Byng and the collections at Wrotham Park, please see Christie's catalogue 'Two Regency Collectors: Philip John Miles and George Byng 1815-45', Christie's, London, 9 June 2005.