The present gilt and white painted boiserie is modelled after the famed 'Le cabinet des Fables’ executed circa 1735-40 for the Hôtel de Soubise, Paris. The hôtel was commissioned in 1704 by François Rohan, the Prince de Soubise, and in 1732, his son Hercule-Mériadec, prince de Rohan engaged the celebrated architect Germain Boffrand to complete the interiors on the occasion of his marriage to Marie Sophie de Courcillon. The apartments represent the apex of the rococo movement in its panelling, stucco and painting, with artists such as François Boucher, Charles Natoire and Carle Van Loo employed to complete the decorative scheme. Created as part of the appartements des enfants du prince, the small 'Fables' cabinet was painted in a green-blue shade and highlighted by gilt carving attributed to the sculpteur ornemaniste Jacques Verbeckt. Seven panels in the room featured the decorative incarnations of Fontaine’s and Aesop’s fables; the present boiserie, enlivened by a range of animals, features these vignettes telling stories such as Le Loup et l’Agneau, La Lice et sa compagne, Le Chien qui lâche sa proie pour l’ombre, La Perdrix et les Deux Coqs and Le Renard et les Raisins.
In 1859, the cabinet was disassembled during the construction in the hôtel of the National Archives; it was not until 1936 that the room was re-mounted in the neighbouring Hôtel de Rohan under the direction of Robert Danis (see Bruno Pons, De Paris à Versailles 1699–1736: Les Sculpteurs ornemantistes parisiens et l’art décoratif des Bâtiments du roi, 1986, p. 307, fig. 310).