THE PROPERTY OF A EUROPEAN NOBLEMAN
The dining-table and chairs offered here were formerly at the Hôtel Lambert, located at the eastern tip of the Ile St.Louis and one of the most famous hôtels particulier in Paris. It was designed by the architect Louis Le Vau and built between 1640 and 1644, originally for the financier Jean-Baptiste Lambert (d.1644) and then occupied by his younger brother Nicolas, for whom the interiors were decorated by the foremost painters Charles Le Brun and Eustache Le Sueur. In the 1740s, the Marquise du Châtelet and Voltaire, her lover, used the hôtel as their Paris residence; the Marquise was famed for her salon there. Later, the Marquis du Châtelet sold the hôtel to Claude Dupin and his wife, who maintained the tradition of the salon. In 1843 the hôtel was bought by members of the Czartoryskis family and became a hub for the promotion of Polish social, political and cultural activities. Among guests and patrons of the hôtel at this time were some of the most notable artists and politicians of the epoch, including Frédric Chopin, Honoré de Balzac, Hector Berlioz, Franz Liszt and Eugène Delacroix. A Polish language library was founded there, so too a historical society and Polish schools. Chopin's 'La Polonaise' was composed exclusively for the Polish ball held there every year.
In the 20th century the hôtel Lambert was discreetly split into luxurious apartments; it was once the home of Mona von Bismarck and of the Baron Alexis de Redé. The hôtel remained in the spotlight for the spectacular parties that were hosted there, among which was the 1956 'Bal des Têtes', which launched the career of a young Yves Saint Laurent.
In 1975 the Czartoryski heirs sold the hôtel to Baron Guy de Rothschild, and it was sold again in 2007.