The following three lots form part of an ensemble of furniture, conceived circa 1820, probably after designs by Nicolaus von Thouret, for the state apartments at the Stadtschloss, Stuttgart, refurbished in the early 19th century for the recently-crowned Kings of Württemberg.
In anticipation of the elevation of the elector of Württemberg to kingship the electorate embarked on great building projects to make Stuttgart the 'Paris of Württemberg'. Entire suites of long unused reception rooms and salons in the enormous Schloss were refurbished and extensive suites of representative furniture were ordered. The chairs of this suite are all marked with Roman numerals and the fact that these extend above 12 indicates that this suite too would have originally been even larger. While the original commission and any detail of early placing of the suite remain unknown, an inventory drawn in October 1891 lists the suite in the Anteroom to the Russian Chapel of the Schloss.