The drawing-room table displays a Florentine marble top, a desirable trophy of the early 19th century grand tour as these were fashionable during the Regency period when they were known as 'Dejeuner tables' intended for 'Ladies Boudoirs or Morning Breakfast Rooms'.
A rosewood table with a similar top centred by malachite is illustrated in C. Gilbert, Furniture at Temple Newsam House and Lotherton Hall, 1978, vol. II, fig. 396, p.321, while another similar top, centred by lapis, is displayed in London's Geological Museum. Related examples sold at auction include most recently a George IV rosewood and specimen marble table probably, commissioned by Lord St. Helens (1753 - 1839), sold Christie's, London, 22 January 2009, lot 550 (£70,850).
Howard & Sons were one of the most successful English cabinet-making firms in the Victorian period. Their premises were based firstly in Lemon Street circa 1820, then at Little Alice Street by 1835. They upgraded again, moving to sought-after premises at 22 & 36 Berners Street in the fashionable West End quarter by 1854.