This elegant mirror is virtually identical to an example attributed to Burchard Precht formerly in The Wrightsman Collection and illustrated in F.J.B. Watson, The Wrightsman Collection, volume II, New York, 1966, no. 209, pl. 395. G. Child discusses the attribution of this mirror, once thought to be made of Venetian glass and imported into France to be framed in gilt-bronze in the early 18th Century, to Precht (G. Child World Mirrors, 1650-1900, London, 1990, p.297). A closely related mirror was sold from 'Le Pavillon Chougny, a private collection', Christie's, London, 9-10 December 2004, lot 630 (9,560 after sale) while a further related example was sold at Christie's, New York, 21 May 2003, lot 228 ($59,750).
The Precht family is synonymous with the production of mirrors of the highest quality in 18th Century Sweden, numerous examples having been attributed to Burchard or to his sons Gustav (d. 1763) and Christian (d. 1779). Originally from Bremen, educated in Hamburg, Burchard arrived in Stockholm in 1674 to work at Drottingholm Palace before being appointed carver to the court in 1682, further to the recommendation of the royal architect, Nicodemus Tessin the Younger. Precht became extremely influential in the development and enrichment of the Swedish baroque style. His sons also achieved great success, with Christian becoming an important silversmith in Sweden during the mid-18th Century.