The Queen Anne dining-table's folding top is supported on a frame, whose Doric-patterned and reed-banded columns can be dated to around 1710 (A. Bowett, English Furniture: 1669-1714, Woodbridge, 2002, p.235, pl. 8-12 no. F). Its japanning in trompe l'oiel lacquer relates to the fashion promoted by J. Stalker and G. Parker in their 1688 Treatise of Japanning and Varnishing, Oxford; and particularly associated with the embellishment of bedroom apartments. Chinese lacquer was also considered around 1700 as particularly appropriate for the China-tables, which served for the display of porcelain tea-equipment in the contemporary reception/dressing-rooms. Amongst related japanned furniture are a suite of tall-backed chairs 'japanned with gold' supplied in 1709 for Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire by the Cornhill cabinet-maker John Burroughs [Junior] (Bowett, ibid., p.254, pl. 8:46)
There has been a Hinton House on the same site since 1490 but very little of the original building remains. With the family's newly elevated status in 1627, the 1st Baron Poulett (d. 1649) improved and enlarged the house accordingly. In the early 18th Century, John, 1st Earl Poulett (1663-1743) remodelled the Long Gallery. The most drastic alterations at Hinton occurred under John, 4th Earl Poulett (1756-1819). In 1794, the Earl initially turned to Sir John Soane to remodel the interior - but ultimately chose the newly fashionable Gothic style as promoted by James Wyatt (1746-1813) (C.G. Winn, The Pouletts of Hinton St George, privately published, 1976, p. 143). The majority of the contents of Hinton House were sold by George, 8th Earl Poulett (d. 1973) in sales at Sotheby's London, 1 November and 8 November 1968, and 28 March 1969.