The firm of Johnstone & Jeanes was established in London circa 1840. It was the successor to Johnstone, Jupe & Co., a partnership between John Johnstone and Robert Jupe, who patented the 'Improved Expanding Table' in 1835. Trading from the same address of 67 New Bond Street, Johnstone & Jeanes continued their predecessor's tradition as preeminent makers of dining furniture, but also produced a varied range of other household furniture. The firm exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the International Exhibitions in London and Paris in 1862 and 1878, respectively. In 1885 the firm became Johnstone and Norman.