The present fauteuil probably formed part of a salon suite stamped by both Alexandre Maigret, tapissier-ébéniste, and Pierre-Gaston Brion, maître-sculpteur, sold in Paris 4 December 1963 with the provenance of the Sultan of Turkey and apparently given to the latter by Napoleon. One fauteuil of this suite is illustrated in D. Ledoux-Lebard, Le Mobilier Français du XIXème Siècle, Paris, 2000, p.106.
Maigret -who acted as main supplier to the Emperor in his capacity as tapissier - is also recorded to have provided a plethora of pieces to the Garde-Meuble, among which a closely related suite of seat furniture for the Palais de Saint-Cloud, now in the Grand Trianon, Versailles (ill. Ibid., p. 454).
Chiefly known for the seat furniture ordered by Napoleon and supplied to the Garde-Meuble Impérial in December 1811, Brion is himself perhaps best remembered for the celebrated lit de parade he executed for Charles X after the death of Louis XVIII, now in the Musée du Louvre and illustrated Ibid, pp. 102-103.