Stillorgan House was built by John, 1st Viscount Allen (d.1726), Member of Parliament for Co. Dublin between 1715-1717, created 1st Viscount Allen, in 1717.
In 1803, Stillorgan House was acquired by Mr. John Verschoyle, brother of Dr. James Verschoyle, Bishop of Killala, and father of Dr. Hamilton Verschoyle, Bishop of Kilmore. After John Verschoyle's death, Stillorgan House was sold to Arthur Lee Guinness, son of Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness, 1st Baronet (1798-1868), who was first Lord Mayor of Dublin (1851) and a Member of Parliament (1865-1868). Arthur Lee Guinness was the grandson of Arthur Guinness (1725-1803), founder of the Guinness Brewery. Arthur Lee Guinness did restored Stillorgan House to its former magnificence, before it gradually fell into ruin and was demolished in 1860.