The firm of Williams and Gibton was formed in 1829, but its history of partnerships date from 1784 when John Mack set up his business in Dublin. Mack joined with Robert Gibton (d. 1812), cabinet-maker and auctioneer, who was succeeded by his son. Zachariah Williams, a former apprentice, married Robert Gibton's daughter and joined at the same time forming Mack, Williams and Gibton. Williams and Gibton continued to work together until Gibton's death in 1842. The table has several characteristics that are associated with the firm, notably the thickly reeded baluster columns. The Children's Hospital in Dublin, since relocated, may have been an original commission for the firm.