The bold, deeply sculpted lines of this dramatic console display the skill and ingenuity of Roman carving at the end of the Seventeenth century. Designs by artists such as Ciro Ferri (1634-1689) and Johann Paul Schor (1615-1674), one of which is reproduced here, inspired craftsmen to create a new design aesthetic. The traditional heraldic and architectural vernacular gave way to naturalistic forms which became the foundation for some of their most sophisticated and often increasingly abstract works. This console seem to grow from the base of the dramatic leafy spray at the center of the stretcher yet at the same time it remains true to the symmetry found in even the most exuberant Roman designs.
Closely related consoles with a bold leafy central stretcher and foliate carving are in the Memmo Collection at the Palazzo Ruspoli, Rome, (see S.Walker and F. Hammond, Life and the Arts in the Baroque Palaces of Rome, New York, 1999, cat. 49, p. 180-181.) as well as Schloss Pillnitz, Dresden (see G. Lazzani, Il Mobile Romano, Milan, 1997, fig 43, p. 26.), and the Galleria Spada, Rome (E. Colle, l Mobile Barocco in Italia, Milan, 2000, p. 104). Another related console was sold anonymously, Christie's, Milan, 3 December 2004, lot 332.