This lot will be removed to an off-site warehouse at the close of business on the day of sale - 2 weeks free storage
THE QUENBY HALL COLLECTION Lots 301 - 376
THE QUENBY HALL COLLECTION
Property of Squire de Lisle
Quenby Hall is '' one of the oldest English estates that has never for 800 years passed out of the possession of one family '' (Country Life, September 1904).
The present house of harmonious brick-work faced with stone was built between 1618 and 1636 by George Ashby (1598-1653), High Sheriff of Leicestershire for 1627. Described by Pevsner as '...the most important house in the Elizabethan-Jacobean style in the county of Leicestershire', the immediate gardens are famous for their Cedars of Lebanon.
Stilton cheese originated here and was first made by the housekeeper.
Quenby remained in the Ashby family until 1904 when the estate was sold to Rosamund, the widow of Edward Seymour-Greaves, who later married Lord Henry Grosvenor. During her time Quenby was restored , having been 'Georgianised' by Shuckburgh Ashby in the mid 18th century and much of the Jacobean interior was reinstated. The estate was then sold in 1924 to Sir Harold Nutting who lived there until his death in 1972. Christie's sold the contents on the premises (23-25 October) when many of the lots offered here were purchased by the de Lisles' who moved from Grace Dieu, also in Leicestershire, to Quenby Hall in the same year.
Now that the Hall and Park have been sold once again, the family hope that new collectors will be able to enjoy the furniture and furnishings of this great house.