The table was commissioned by Frances Elizabeth Anne, Lady Waldegrave (d.1879) for Strawberry Hill, Middlesex, probably from the Finsbury firm of Willian Smee and Sons, who issued a catalogue entitled, Designs for Furniture, in 1850. It would appear to have been ordered soon after her marriage in 1847 to George Granville Vernon Harcourt, M.P. (d. 1861). The table's robust legs, with reed-gadrooned capitals, and chamfered and herm-tapered pillars with pearled ribbon-guilloche and urn-like plinths, reflects the combined antique and Elizabethan fashions popularised by publications such as Henry Whitaker's, Practical Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterers Treasury of Designs, 1847. It would appear to have been supplied for new Dining Room, when the Waldegrave wing of the house was added in the 1850s. It was photographed here in 1863 by P. H. Delamotte.