According to a note handwritten in 1938, the table was originally owned by George Young (1755-1839) and his wife, Nancy Wade Hampton (1755-1844) and descended to their great-great granddaughter, Janice Evans Turnbull, who sold it to W.E. Martin of Chattanooga, Tennessee in 1938. The Youngs hailed from Virginia, he from Pittsylvania County and she from neighboring Halifax County. George Young served in the Revolutionary War and the couple married in Virginia in 1785. In all likelihood, the table was made in Virginia prior to the Youngs removal to Georgia. Their son, George Hampton Young (1799-1800) inherited the table and later moved to Mississippi, where he built a mansion, Waverley Plantation, in the 1850s (see ancestry.com, ID I8874).