Born in 1912, Jean Lombard dedicated his entire life to the world of rare jewellery and precious objects. Both a passionate collector and imaginative creator, he developed a sophisticated clientele, for whom he designed stylish jewels inspired by the Renaissance, with splendour and love of detail. He was also known for giving old pieces of jewellery a new life. His reputation grew beyond his Geneva store, first on the famous rue de la Corraterie, later rue de la Cité; it became a renowned point of call for any European or American collector looking for items of quality, beautiful silver and unusual jewels.
Shortly after World War II, he started a long-lasting friendship with Carl Thodor Fabergé, the grandson of Peter Carl Fabergé. Their fruitful collaboration lasted for twenty years and led to the creation of remarkable sculpted objects set with precious stones. Owing to his eccentric and inventive spirit, Jean Lombard became the official jeweller to H.M. Queen Frederica of Greece and H.M. King Farouk of Egypt. Although his workshop closed in 1983, he continued creating until he passed away in 1988.
His motto, inscribed in his store, was: 'Le dernier rempart de la joie de vivre' (The last rampart of the joy of life)!