1931 CADILLAC SERIES 355-A ROADSTER
COACHWORK BY FLEETWOOD
Chassis No. 872102B
Engine No. 806150
Body No. 24
Silver and blue with red leather interior
Engine: L-head, V8, 353ci., 95bhp at 3,000rpm; Gearbox: three-speed manual; Suspension: semi-elliptic leaf springs with hydraulic dampers front and rear; Brakes: four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
As the 1920s drew to a close, General Motors, under Alfred P. Sloan, was in control of the widely diverse American automobile market. The roaring twenties was a time of opulence and excess for many, and though America's rich and famous were looking toward Packard and Duesenberg to fulfill their needs, the Cadillac division remained a seemingly unchallengable namesake in the automotive industry. They did this by continually innovating and producing designs that, without fault, exhibited timeless elegance and styling individuality. Whether it was the sporting look of a V8 Roadster or the powerful magnificence of a V16 Sport Phaeton, all of the Cadillac models exemplified their slogan, The Standard of the World.
By 1931 Cadillac had reached the pinnacle of automotive styling. The 1931 model line offered four separate passenger car choices powered by eight, twelve or sixteen cylinder engines. Despite the overall lower automotive sales brought on by the pandemic mood set by the Depression, Cadillac managed to run its competitors into the ground, staking outright claim on the bulk of luxury car sales in America. There were a total of twelve body styles available and they included customer specified designs carried out by the prestigious American coachbuilders, Fleetwood and Fisher. General Motors employed an Art and Color styling department led by one of the most famous automotive designers, Harley J. Earl. Earl and his staff worked their magic on all of the 1931 Cadillac lines and the results were impressive. Despite the popularity of the newly redesigned V12 and V16, the bread and butter V8 of Cadillac remained a popular choice for many new car buyers. Improvements on the V8 also worked to keep up interest in the less expensive model. With horsepower raised to 95, the smaller V8s offered sufficient power and performance to satisfy many potential buyers. They were the lightest models made, weighing a modest 4,500 lbs, and the Fleetwood and Fisher custom bodies included elegantly styled fenders that extended farther and more dramatically than ever before, as seen on the Cadillac on offer here.
Finished in an attractive silver and blue paint scheme, this Cadillac V8 Roadster was owned by Mr. R. Morris of New Jersey during the 1970s. It was under Mr. Morris' ownership that the Cadillac received a restoration in 1974. The frame off, nut and bolt restoration included a bare metal respray, complete engine rebuild and rechroming of all brightwork. Following the restoration, the Cadillac was awarded top honors in its class at the 1975 Hershey, Pennsylvania Antique Automobile Club of America National Competition. Although this car represents an older restoration, the overall condition today appears quite presentable.
This sporty V8 Roadster comes equipped with dual side spots, a tan convertible top with the matching trunk and the desirable stainless steel wire spoke and painted red wheels with whitewall tires. The Cadillac V8 Roadster is considered a full classic and is eligible for the many CCCA tours and events nationwide.