This table once formed part of the collection of Sebastian S. Kresge (d.1966), who founded the profitable retail chain S. S. Kresge Company, later known as K Mart. Kresge was also a devoted philanthropist. To commemorate the 25th anniversary of his company in 1924, he established a foundation in his name "to promote the well-being of mankind." Since its establishment, the Foundation has awarded almost $2 billion in grants. In 1897, Mr. Kresge married Anna E. Harvey of Memphis. This table was sold as part of the estate of their daughter Ruth, who married Henry W. Nugent Head.