Filippo Giacomo Berino (active between 1757-1776) is one of a few recorded Turinese ébénistes working alongside Luigi Prinotto (1685-1780) and the celebrated Pietro Piffetti (1701-1777). While little is known of Berino, his name appears on a bill dated 1757 for the delivery of a ‘burrò con guarniture d’ottone’ (brass-mounted bureau), to the Royal lodge Veneria Reale, near Turin, for which he was paid the sum of 180 lire. Berino is further recorded in 1763 as a member of the University of Turin's vetting committee responsible for the granting of the ‘maîtrise’ to aspiring ébénistes. The only other currently known signed and dated work by Berino is a rosewood, walnut and fruitwood-banded and ivory-inlaid bureau cabinet with an engraved ivory scene dated 1741, and published in R. Antonetto, Il Mobile Piemontese nel Settecento, Turin, 2010, vol.1, pp. 298-9. The commode here proposed appears to be unrecorded and unpublished.
With its delicately waved shape and idiosyncratic ebony inlay, this commode is somewhat reminiscent of a pair of commodes with richer ivory inlays attributed to the master ébéniste Pietro Piffetti. The first of which almost certainly purchased by John Alexander, 4th Marquess of Bath (1831-1896) for Longleat, Wiltshire, and by descent at Longleat, sold Christies London, 13-14 June 2002, lot 472, and its later discovered pair, which appeared in 2005 on the French auction market, both illustrated and discussed in R. Antonetto, op. cit., p. 282.