Located in the Bresle valley between Normandy and Picardy, the château d'Eu was reconstructed in 1578 by Henri le Balafré, duc de Guise. In the eighteenth century it was the home of the ducs de Maine and subsequently Orléans. The château was seized during the Revolution and most of its furnishings either sold or destroyed. In 1814 it was restituted to the dowager duchesse d'Orléans, daughter of the duc de Penthièvre, the future Louis-Philippe, who in 1821 started to restore and refurnish the château. It was most probably during this period of refurbishment that this pair of Louis XVI wall lights was introduced to the château.