The firm of T. & G. Seddon were awarded a Royal Warrant in 1832 following their partnership with Nicholas Morel to refurnish Windsor Castle. Thereafter, they included 'Manufacturers To Her Majesty' at the head of their label. Their labels around this date were often inscribed with a serial number and a workman's name as in the present example (C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture, Leeds, 1996, pp. 48-49, figs. 826-827).
The mechanical nature of these tables' design is noteworthy. The illustrations demonstrate how the spacing between the tables' legs becomes closer as their tops are swivelled and opened out, providing a playing surface with more space underneath it to accomodate the chairs of the card-players. This thoughtful and inventive design was typical of the firm's successful design planning.
These card-tables' distinctive tapering end supports set on turned bun feet relate to a rosewood library table with a T. & G. Seddon label on the inside of the drawer, offered for sale anonymously, Sothebys, Olympia, 17 February 2004, lot 161.