The Zohiko lineage dates from the time of the Kyoto lacquer craftsman Nishimura Munetada (1720-1773), who acquired the nickname "elephant boy" (Zohiko) for his lacquer image of the deity Fugen (Samantabhadra) on an elephant mount. This stand is possibly from the workshop in the periods of the seventh-generation Nishimura Hikobei. His nephew, the eighth generation, received the gold medal for his work at the Panama Pacific International Exposition of 1915.
For an almost identical table in the collection of the Mitsui Memorial Museum, see Zohiko Urushi Art from the Mitsui Memorial Museum Collection, exh. cat. (Tokyo: Mitsui Memorial Museum, 2011), pp. 50-51.