The bowl is from a service made for Prince William V of Orange (later to become King of the Netherlands) and his consort Princess Wilhemina of Prussia. Ulrich Galtherus Hemmingson (1741-99), a director of the Dutch East India Company, presented this service, comprising 1450 pieces, to the Prince in 1791, a fact borne out in a letter dated 22 July 1791 from Princess Wilhemina to her daughter, Louise. A large number of pieces from this service are exhibited at the Museum of the Dutch Royal Family at Palais Het Loo and the Palais Noordeinde in the Hague. Others are still in the possession of several members of the Royal Family, including H.R.H. Princess Juliana of the Netherlands.
For the arms of Rode quartering Matthias, see D. S. Howard, Chinese Armorial Porcelain, London, 1974, p.596.