The tray-top work-table, designed in the late 19th century 'Sheraton' revival style, has Ionic-scrolled ends and is inlaid with a shell medallion and Renaissance-fashion tablets of pears. It was made at the Sandringham workshops established by Princess Alexandra, later Queen Alexandra (d.1925), following her marriage in 1863 to Edward, Prince of Wales, later Edward VII (d.1910). Originally established as a 'Technical School of Woodwork' for the children of the Estate workers, it later became Her Majesty Queen Mary's 'Carving School' for ex-servicemen and local workers. The manufactures were retailed at Sandringham and London Department Stores and shown at the Ideal Home Exhibitions. A mahogany version of this table is now displayed in one of the Museum rooms at Sandringham (S. Letts et al, Sandringham, 2002, p.55). A satinwood version of this table, also inlaid with a shell, was sold, Christie's, London, 15 June 2000, lot 18.