With Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in 1941 and its subsequent sale on 1st December 1941.
The present watch stands out by its excellent overall condition, which is only accentuated by its elegant scroll lugs and pink dial.
Reference 1491 was launched in 1940 and made in two versions, the first series with calibre 12'''120 and subsidiary seconds, the second, such as the present watch, as of 1943 with calibre 12''' SC movement and indirect sweep centre seconds. The model is distinguished by its highly decorative scroll lugs, demonstrating Patek Philippe avant-garde spirit by using varying shapes and forms, breaking away from the straight-forward circular shape with plain lugs. Inspiration from architecture, geometry and history created a new graciousness of form with rounded corners, stepped and triple-stepped forms and other elements, like scrolls.
The ébauche of the famous calibre 12''' SC with indirect centre seconds was the result of Louis Cottier's and Patek Philippe's collaboration, where the centre seconds mechanism was ingeniously added to the existing 12'''120 "subsidiary seconds" movement.