We are grateful to Professor David Solkin, Courtauld Institute of Art, for confirming the attribution on the basis of photographs, and for pointing out that this painting is a freer than usual autograph variant of Wilson's Temple of Clitumnus (see W.G. Constable, Richard Wilson, London, 1953, p. 197, no. 75b, illustrated).
The Temple of Clitumnus lies close to the river Clitumnus, in Umbria. Originally an ancient tomb and shrine to the river gods, the temple was extended and converted into a Christian church in the fifth century and remains standing to this day.