The prototype for this portrait is in the Royal Collection (O. Millar, The Tudor, Stuart and Early Georgian Pictures in the Collection of Her Majesty The Queen, London, 1963, pp. 144-45). The portrait appears to have been regarded as an official image of the Prince of Wales and derivations of it, and its companion of Caroline of Ansbach when Princess of Wales (the Royal Collection), continued to appear after his accession. Sir Oliver recorded other copies at Narford, Chelsea Hospital, in the New Club, Edinburgh, in the County Court Room at Northampton and in the Palace of Westminster (ibid.).
Charborough Park is the seat of the Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax family and until 1967 was inhabited by Vice-Admiral The Hon. Sir Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax, K.C.B., D.S.O (d.1967), a Vice-Admiral and a founding member of the Naval Society.
Charborough Park became part of the Erle estate as a result of the marriage of Sir Walter Erle (d.1581) to Mary Wykes of Charborough (d.1581), the heiress of the Wykes. Sir Walter Erle's grandson, Sir Walter Erle II (d.1665) inherited Charborough Park at his grandfather's death, after the estate was burnt down under the Royalists' influence. His grandson, Thomas (d.1720), carried out further alterations to the manor including the grand staircase hall featuring paintings by Sir James Thornhill (d.1734), the famed decorative painter. Richard Grosvenor (d.1819), married Sarah Frances Drax (d.1822) and altered and enlarged the house in 1810. Their daughter Jane married John Sawbridge of Olantigh, Kent in 1827. Sawbridge not only enlarged the park land but was also a great collector.