The Fred B. Dalzell, an ocean going tug boat, was built at Port Richmond in Staten Island, New York. The tug boat was a part of the fleet of a towing company owned jointly by C.P. Raymond and F.B. Dalzell. Upon Raymond's death in 1892, Dalzell took over the South Street Seaport based towing company. This ship depicted in Jacobsen's oil painting was the largest in his fleet of nine tug boats. Fred B. Dalzell passed away in 1916, at that time he was the Commodore and Vice President of the New York Boat Owners Association.