The present triptych is likely the fruit of a collaboration of different artists, as was a common practice in medieval workshops in Antwerp. The figures might be of a different hand than the architecture, as well as the landscape elements in the immediate foreground, which have been meticulously rendered with a high degree of naturalism.
The central composition is based on the left wing of Hans Memling's diptychon in the Alte Pinakothek, Munich (inv. no. 680), which is dated to circa 1490.
The state of conservation has been nicely preserved and the loose and sketchy underdrawing is beautifully visible in various parts, especially in Mary and the Child.