Carnarvonshire was built in 1868 by Gaddarn & Co. at Neyland, Pembroke for D.J. Jenkins & Co. (The Shire Line), London. Registered at 388 gross tons, she measured 132 feet in length with a 26 foot beam. Rigged as a barquentine she was completed for the Far East trade returning with tea, and making one round trip a year. In 1880 she was sold to R.D. Richards of Barmouth, Merionethshire and by 1886 was owned by G.B. Wadsworth of Goole by which time there were three ships with the same name on the registry. On 5th January 1893 during a voyage to Cardiff she was wrecked off Para, Brazil.