Smith (for whom see also lots 26 and 30) served in India from 1805-1830, in the Bengal Engineers. Ranked as a Lieutenant in 1807, he swiftly rose through the ranks to Lieutenant-Colonel in 1830 and honorary Colonel in 1854. In 1810 he was field engineer with the Bengal Division at Calcutta and, after taking part in the capture of Mauritius in 1810-1811, he became Aide-de-Camp to Sir George Nugent, the Commander-in-Chief in India. Between 1813 and 1814 he was employed in surveying on the Mirzapore South frontier. Raymond Head (Country Life, 1981) suggests that the present watercolour was executed circa 1814 while Smith was employed in surveying the region and probably worked up from sketches made on the spot. The Hill Fort at Rohtasgarh was taken from its former Hindu rulers by Sher Shah Sur in 1539. Subsequently utilised by the Mughals, it came into the British possession in 1764 and was drawn a number of times by the Daniells during their tour.