The first miniature derives from a large-scale three-quarters length portrait by Giovanni Battista Moroni painted in 1560, now in the Gemäldegalerie, Berlin, inv. no. 79.1. Gabriel de la Cueva was the son of Don Beltrán de la Cueva, 3rd Duke of Albuquerque and his wife Doña Isabel Téllez Girón. He held the offices of Viceroy of Navarre and Governor of the Duchy of Milan. He married his niece, Doña Juana de la Lama, 4th Marchioness of la Adrada and they had two daughters.