Aldwarke came to the Foljambe family through the marriage of Sir James Foljambe, son of Sir Godfrey Foljambe, of Walton (1472-1541), to Alice, daughter and co-heir of Thomas Fitzwilliam, of Aldwarke, Yorkshire. Aldwarke became the chief family seat in the late- 17th Century, after Sir Francis Foljambe (d.1640) sold Walton. Aldwarke Hall, as it appears in the background of this painting, was built circa 1720 for Francis Foljambe (d.1732) on the site of the earlier medieval hall (with 17th Century additions), and was added to in 1772 by James Wyatt for Francis Ferrand Moore (d.1814), nephew of Thomas Foljambe (d.1758), who adopted the surname Foljambe. The Hall was demolished in 1899. The circular pool immediately in front of the house appears to be at the point where a fountain is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey 25" map of 1888.