The composition derives from a lost painting by Titian, of which various copies are known. One is in the Casa Buonarroti, Florence (see W. Suida, Tiziano, Rome, 1933, p. 149, pl. XXXII b) and another is in the Royal Collection, Windsor Castle (catalogued as by Giovanni Cariani, see J. Shearman, Early Italian Pictures in the Collection of Her Majesty The Queen, Cambridge, 1983, pp. 69-72, no. 65, pl. 62), and more recently proposed as the lost original, see (P. Joannides, Titian to 1518, New Haven and London, 2001, pp. 253-4).