The present painting is recorded in manuscript inventories of the Hôtel de Luynes in Paris. Described as "Deux chiens et deux serins" ('Two dogs and two canaries'), the subjects of the painting are identified as the 'petit chiens du duc de Luynes'. Commissioned from Oudry by Charles-Philippe d'Albert de Luynes (1695-1758), the painting may have been part of a décor that included works by Huet and Challe.
See Thomas de Luynes & Bruno Pons, "Les cabinets de tableaux du duc de Chevreuse et du duc de Luynes à l'hôtel de Luynes au XVIIIe siècle," in Le Faubourg Saint-Germain. La Rue Saint-Dominique. Hôtels et Amateurs," Musée Rodin, Paris, 11 October-20 December 1984, p. 61.
FROM THE CHÂTEAU DE DAMPIERRE, FRANCE