Colonel John Frewen Turner (1755-1829) was the son of Reverend Thomas Frewen (1708-1791), Rector of Sapcote, Leicestershire. The additional name of Turner was adopted when Reverend Thomas succeeded to the joint estates of the Frewen and Turner familys in 1777. John Frewen Turner owned estates in Brickwall, Sussex; Cold Overton, Leicestershire and Winton, Yorkshire. He was High Sheriff of Lecestershire in 1791, Colonel of the Leicester Yeomanry and M.P. for Athlone 1807-1812. In 1808 he married Eleanor, daughter and co-heir of Charles Clark of London.
The church of St. John Baptist, Cold Overton can be seen in the background of the painting, with its distinctive spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Pat was bought by Mrs. Burrow of Carlton Hall, Brigg in Cumberland, as a present for John Frewen Turner. When John was married at St. John Baptist church, Cold Overton, he rode Pat to the church.