Stobo Castle, Peeblesshire, was the previous family home of the Montgomery family. It was originally built as a fortified tower house which remained in 1767 when the estate was purchased by James William Montgomery (1720-1803), who was created 1st Baronet of Stanhope in 1801. His successor Sir James Montgomery 2nd Bt. (1766-1839) re-built the house in the fashionable gothic style between 1805 and 1811. The Montgomery's remained at Stobo until 1902 when the family moved to Kinross House. Stobo was finally sold in 1905.