This painting is one of the seven lots, from various donors, which were sold by Christie's, London, on 14 July 1967, on behalf of the Italian Art and Archives Rescue Fund (IAARF). Immediately after the devastating floods of early November 1966 in Florence and Venice, people all over the world were anxious to give practical assistance to Italy in repairing the immense damage to its heritage.
Sir Ashley Clarke, former British Ambassador to Rome and chairman of the British Italian Society at that time, was asked to chair a committee to raise funds to help rescue the two cities: the IAARF was established by trust declaration deed on 15 December 1966. The fundraising efforts were directed at Florence first, and at Venice as well by the end of July 1967.
Under the supervision and with the help of a number of British experts on art and archive preservation, new restoration laboratories were established, and skilled personnel and conservation materials were provided. The National Library in Florence and Tintoretto's church of the Madonna dell'Orto in Venice were among the first beneficiaries of this generous fundraising.
Industrial village was purchased from Leicester Galleries by Sir Colin Anderson (1904-1980) in 1957. Anderson, Director of the P & O Line shipping company, was a key figure in the world of British art. He was, at various times, Chairman of the trustees of the Tate Gallery; Chairman of the Contemporary Art Society; a Director of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden and the English Opera Group; trustee of the National Gallery; and Provost of the Royal College of Art. He himself was a collector, and in 2005 Christie's sold works from his collection, by artists including Graham Sutherland, Henry Moore and David Hockney.