This lively seascape by Ludolf Bakhuizen depicts the River IJ in Amsterdam, with a view of the Leeuwenberg bulwark and the windmill called 'De Bok'. Known primarily as a calligrapher early in his career, Bakhuizen joined the Guild of Saint Luke in Amsterdam in 1663, when he became well-known as a painter of seascapes. He often depicted the River IJ around Amsterdam; one such work, commissioned by the city of Amsterdam in 1665, is now in the Louvre. The present work dates to 1694, toward the end of Bakhuizen's career--he had foregone the silvery, monochromatic works of his earlier career in favor of the brighter colors visible here. Built around 1610, the Leeuwenberg bulwark was often called the 'Blauwhoofd', or 'Blue Head', because of the distinctive blue color of its stone. Fire destroyed 'De Bok' windmill, which stood on the bulwark, in 1879.