The Waterslootse Poort in Delft was built as a city gate in the 15th Century. The name refers to the canal it was constructed along, the Watersloot. However, the gate was also referred to as St. Joris gate, because of an annual procession that led from the church of St. Joris in a small village nearby to the Waterslootse Poort.
The edifice was altered a few times, and in 1573 it underwent its most extensive renovation: during the Dutch Revolt Willem van Oranje came to Delft to find shelter from the Spanish invasion. Hence the city walls and gates had to be modernised to defend him.
Almost three centuries after the construction, a new bridge was built in front of it, because of the invention of the railways. The Waterslootse Poort stood in the way and in 1847 it was demolished at a cost of 3000 guilders.