A Park Meeting shows Munnings' confident fluid brushwork at its most immediate and spontaneous capturing both the glamor and elegance of racing in the first half of the twentieth century. Evidence suggests that this paddock is at Sandown Park, as it compares with the The Paddock at Sandown before the Eclipse (A.J. Munnings, The Finish, Bungay, 1952, illustrated opposite p. 217). Sandown Park, near Esher, Surrey, was created by a private committee, including the Duke of Hamilton and the Earl of Rosebery, and held its first flat and steeplechase races in April 1875.
This work will be included in the forthcoming catalogue raisonné of the works of Sir Alfred Munnings being prepared by Lorian Peralta-Ramos.