The sitter was the fifth son of King Louis-Philippe (see lots 424 and 425) and Maria Amalia of Naples and Sicily (see lot 426). At the age of 8 he inherited a vast fortune including 66 million livres and land belonging to his godfather, Louis VI Henri of Bourbon-Condé. He also inherited the Château of Chantilly amongst others. He married, in 1844, Princess Maria Caroline Augusta of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, daughter of Leopold, Prince of Salerno and his wife Archduchess Maria Clementina of Austria. He became Governor-General of Algeria in 1847 after participating in the French invasion of Algeria. He was later appointed commander of the VII Army Corps at Besançon and subsequently Inspector-General of the Army. In 1883 a law was passed which deprived all members of families that had reigned in France of their military positions so he was forced to retire. His will stated that his Chantilly estate, including the Château and its art collection be bequeathed to the Institute of France.