The all-steel schooner Ingomar was designed and built by the great Nat Herreshoff at Bristol, Rhode Island (U.S.A.), in 1903. Registered at 142 tons gross (113 net and 227 Thames), she measured 97 feet in length with a 24 foot beam and carried 11,520 square feet of canvas under full sail. Owned by Morton F. Plant of 71 Broadway, New York City, he brought her to Europe for her maiden season in 1904 where she competed at Cowes and also took part in the Emperor's Cup race from Dover to Heligoland. Proceeding from there to the Kiel Regatta, she displayed great speed when racing against Hamburg (ex. Rainbow) and Meteor (the Kaiser's yacht), for both of which she was more than a match. Sold to Daniel R. Hanna of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1908, he kept her until the outbreak of War in 1914 although, by 1920, she had passed into the ownership of Henry W. Howe of New York.
The first White Heather was a handsome composite yawl designed by William Fife and built by J.G. Fay at Southampton early in 1904. Registered at 151 tons gross (76 net), she measured 91 feet in length with a 20 foot beam and provided good sport against Ingomar when they met at Cowes in what was the maiden season for both of them. Although she was fast, White Heather proved "somewhat tender" for her original owner Myles Kennedy with the result that he sold her to H.B.L. Sedgwick after the end of the 1906 season, even though she had performed splendidly that year and had won the Cowes to Clyde race, including the return leg, the previous summer. Still sailing into the 1920s, her later career was somewhat eclipsed by the achievements of her namesake White Heather (II) which attracted more attention.