We are grateful to Professor Peter Humfrey for the attribution to Vittore Carpaccio after inspection of the original. Professor Humfrey tentatively dates this panel to circa 1490, comparing it with the Lamentation of the Dead Christ formerly in the Contini Bonacossi Collection in Florence (illustrated in J. Lauts, Carpaccio: Paintings and drawings, London, 1962, p. 242, no. 50, pl. 50).
We are also grateful to Professor Mauro Lucco for confirming the attribution on the basis of photographs. Professor Lucco suggests a later date, towards 1520, comparing the picture to the polyptych in the parish church of Pozzale di Cadore, signed and dated 1519 (illustrated in Lauts, op. cit., pl. 197), of which it could have formed part as a cimasa or upper element.