Although the present work is not dated, it can be assumed that it was painted circa 1910. Dr Baron comments, 'Close in composition to the painting on panel [Baron, 2006, no. 152] here assigned to 1902-03 and to the drawing [Baron, 2006, no. 152.4]. However, the trees behind the magazine kiosk are taller and fuller, supporting a later date of the painting' (see W. Baron, 2006, loc. cit.).
A smaller, later version of the present work [Baron 323.1] showing larger trees than the present work, dated 1912, was sold anonymously at Christie's, London, 6 June 2008, lot 91. The present work, by comparison concentrates on the architectural, compositional elements of the church façade, incorporating the rose window.
The church of St Rémy, built between 1522 and 1640 is Dieppe's second largest church. In the distance of the present composition are houses in the former rue Farinette (now rue 19 Aoüt 1942) which also feature in Sickert's oil, The Haunted House, Dieppe from 1898-99 (private collection) (see W. Baron, 2006, pp. 231, 256).
The present work has never been presented on the open market and has not been exhibited publicly. It has been retained within the Bernheim Jeune family, the original owners, who were Sickert's agents in Paris in the early 1900s.