The collector of this painting, Li Lincan (1913-1999), was a native of Henan. During his time as a student at the Hangzhou Art Academy, his family fell onto hard times, and it was thanks to the help of then teacher Li Kuchan to help fund his studies so that he could graduate in 1938. Having graduated he moved to Li Jiang to study the ethnic minority culture.
In July 1941 he began working at the National Palace Museum in Taipei and eventually took up the position as Vice-President of the museum. Having retired in 1984 he continued to teach and focus his studies in Chinese art and history. He was awarded the National Cultural Award of R.O.C. (Taiwan) in 1995.